Paper Organization Challenge – Day 14: Magazines
Are you a magazine junkie? If your answer is yes, I understand! I’ll openly admit right here to all of you that I am very attached to my magazines.
In today’s Paper Organization Challenge we’re going to cover exactly how to organize magazines so you’ll get your money’s worth and actually enjoy these treasures!
First, take a moment to ask yourself why you have certain magazines in the first place (reference, inspiration, entertainment, etc.) Your answer will help determine how you handle your magazines from this point forward.
Is your collection primarily for casual reading? Here are some simple tips:
- Limit your subscriptions. As a matter of fact, did you know that magazines can actually be checked out from your local library just like books?
- Recycle all issues dated prior to 2011.
- Keep a magazine rack, or basket, with your latest issues strategically placed right near your favorite reading spot.
- Limit the number of issues you keep to the size of your container.
- One issue in – one issue out.
Is your collection full of wonderful inspiration and/or reference material? Here are some simple tips:
- Organize collections by title in magazine boxes and store near the location you will need the information For example: cooking magazines in the kitchen, financial or business magazines in the office, craft magazines in your project area.
- Tear out articles you are interested in reading and create a Reading file. Keep the file near your favorite reading spot, in your briefcase, at your desk … wherever you will have the opportunity to actually read them! Tip: write a date on the article and decide in advance how long you will keep articles before tossing them out.
- Tear out pertinent pages from your magazines and create Idea, Inspiration, or Reference file(s) or binder(s). Have fun with this, but remember to keep it simple. Create a system that is too elaborate and you may not keep up with it.
Finally, here’s my favorite tip of all from one magazine junkie to another … check out www.maghound.com – a membership site where you can not only subscribe to magazines, but you can choose, change and manage exactly which issues you receive every month. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Hi, I’m Kim Cossette Andre, owner of The Organized Approach. I work with busy, overwhelmed women, just like you, who strive to be organized but simply need a helping hand to get there. Ready to tackle your organizing goals? Schedule a free call!
Leave a Comment