Overnight guests are arriving, oh my!
If it’s been quite some time since you’ve opened the door to your guest room (other than to toss in another storage item), here are a few simple steps you can take to get ready:
If your guest room doubles as a “catch-all” storage room, the first step you’ll need to take is to clear the room. Rather than just simply hiding everything somewhere else, now is a perfect time to declutter.
Need some declutter help? Check out How to Declutter Your Home Fast (But Smart) When Company is Coming.
Check the Basics
Since guest rooms aren’t often used regularly, give the room an overall check for:
- A good reading lamp (be sure to check the light bulb)
- Accessible outlets for electronics (install an extension cord if necessary)
- An alarm clock (you may need to refresh batteries and reset the time)
- A luggage rack
- An empty drawer and space in the closet for clothes
- A few padded clothes hangers
Add Personal Touches
Everyone loves a personal touch! Take a few minutes to include:
- Fresh flowers
- An extra pillow or two of different firmness
- An extra blanket or two of different weights
- A basket of special toiletries
- A supply of personal bath towels
Go the Extra Mile
Include a few of these final touches and take your guest room from ordinary to extraordinary:
- A spare house key
- A favorite photograph of you and your guest on the nightstand
- Reading material hand-picked for your guest
- A packet of information on local areas of interest
Go the Extra Extra Mile
Here’s a fun tip: Give the room a trial run yourself. Become a guest in your own home and treat yourself to a night in your own guest room. This is the perfect way to discover what extra steps you may want to take to improve the experience.
Take these simple steps and you’ll have created a perfect guest room. Your guests may never want to leave!
Hi, I’m Kim Cossette Andre, owner of The Organized Approach. I work with busy, overwhelmed women, just like you, who strive to be organized but simply need a helping hand to get there. Ready to tackle your organizing goals? Schedule a free call!